The Sunday Class
Website designed and maintained by Microport  © 2010 -15
Taught/practised on: 2014 April 6th April 27th
THE 5 O’CLOCK FROM WELSHPOOL (R5x32) Gillian Jennings  1- 8 1s & 3s set advancing to Balance in line, turn partner RH, face up and cast off 1 place  9-16 1s & 3s set advancing to Balance in line, turn partner RH to face 1st  corners 17-24 1s & 3s dance Corners Pass & Turn with 1st corners, and 2nd corners 25-32 1s & 3s dance RH across with couple to right, cross RH & cast off 1 place
For Sally McGurn who made the long journey from Welshpool on the five o’clock train to classes in Birmingham. One of her favourite formations is corner pass and turn. The Shrewsbury and Welshpool Railway opened on 27 January 1862 and over the years became part of the London and North Western Railway, the Cambrian Railways, and the Great Western Railway before nationalisation. About 100 yards north of the station were exchange sidings with the narrow gauge Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway which opened for freight traffic in 1903 and closed in 1956, with a separate station serving passenger traffic until 1931. The last remains of this station and the site of the railway were obliterated by the construction of the new A483 road. After some severe rationalisation under the Beeching Axe in the 1960s and development of the A483 road, there arose a need to shift the railway line south. To enable this, in the 1990s, the old station was closed, and a new single island platform constructed south of it, to allow realignment. The modern station is reached by a large pedestrian bridge over the eastbound railway line and the A483. It has no facilities beyond a small shelter and benches. The old station can still be seen across the road, and has been converted into a mill shop and cafe. The Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway was one of the few narrow gauge branch lines to be built under the provisions of the 1896 Light Railways Act and was opened on 4 April 1903. The line is built through difficult country, having a great number of curves in order to reach the summit of 600 ft, and was never profitable. The original terminus at Welshpool was located alongside the main line station and trains wound their way through the town, using the locomotive bell as a warning. After closing in 1956, a group of volunteers and enthusiasts took the line over and started raising money to restore it. On 6 April 1963 the western half of the line, from Llanfair Caereinion to Castle Caereinion, was reopened as a tourist railway. The line through Welshpool, however, could not be reopened, so the line now has a new terminus station at Raven Square on the western outskirts of the town, opened on 18 July 1981. There are current discussions about reinstating the link through the town to the main line station, following a different route from that originally used.
The Reopening train in the streets of Welshpool 6th April 1963 Photograph: John Clemmens <Previous Cribs F Next>