The Sunday Class
Website designed and maintained by Microport  © 2010 -19
Taught/practised on:
2010 October 24 th
PRESTON MILL (R5x32) M Martin  RSCDS Book 45  1- 8 1M crosses down to dance Fig of 8 round 2L+1L while 2M crosses down to dance Fig of 8 round 3L+2L while 4L crosses up to dance Fig of 8 round 3M+4M while 5L crosses up to dance Fig of 8 round 4M+5M all returning to places  9-16 1M also 3L followed by partners cast down 1 place & cross to opposite side, 2s+1s also 3s+5s dance LH across 17-24 1s & 3s set advancing & turn right about, 1s & 3s dance 6 bars of Double Triangles 25-32 1s & 3s dance out own sides & cast 1 place, all set & turn partners RH.  2 4 1 5 3
Preston Mill is one of the oldest meal mills in Scotland with its machinery still in working order. It lies close to the River Tyne at the eastern edge of East Linton, East Lothian and near Prestonkirk Parish Church and Phantassie Doocot. A mill has stood on this site since the end of the 1500s, and while part of the structure you see today dates back to the 1600s, the mill was developed and redeveloped in at least four stages in the three centuries to the early 1900s. The engineer and millwright, Andrew Meikle, maintained the mill in the 18th century. In 1948 a flood submerged the buildings, and in 1950 a local landowner gave the mill to the National Trust for Scotland. The milling firm Rank Hovis McDougall provided help with the renovation and it was used commercially until 1959, producing oatmeal. There were members of a Martin family living at Preston Mill, Kirkcudbright in the first half of the 1800s (William Martin, Master Blacksmith and then his son, Lewis, also a blacksmith, wife Helen Gibson Begg and their children) though Lewis, Helen and 9 children emigrated to Australia between 1852 and 1867. Two daughters remained in Scotland.