The Sunday Class
Website designed and maintained by Microport  © 2010 -17
Taught/practised on: 2013 April 7 th
THE CASTLE OF MEY (R8x32) John S Walton  Queen’s Diamond Jubilee  1- 8 1s+2s+3s dance Inveran Reels, 2s finish facing out  9-16 1s+2s dance double Fig of 8 (1s cross down while 2s dance up) 17-24 1s   lead   down   the   middle   and   back,   finishing   in   centre   with   both hand joined & 2s step in ready for …… 25-32 1s+2s dance a poussette
The   Castle   of   Mey   is   situated   on   the   north   coast   of   Caithness,   in   the   parish   of   Canisbay,   about   15   miles   east   of Thurso   and   six   miles   west   of   John   O'Groats.   It   stands   on   rising   ground   about   400   yards   from   the   seashore, overlooking   the   Pentland   Firth   and   the   Orkney   Islands.   It   is   thought   that   a   fortified   granary   occupied   the   site originally.   It   was   built   between   1566   and   1572   by   George,   the   4 th    Earl   of   Caithness,   for   his   second   son   William Sinclair.   When   visiting   the   family   seat,   Girnigoe   Castle,   in   1573,   William   was   murdered   by   his   older   brother   John, who   had   been   imprisoned   there   for   about   six   years   by   his   cruel   father.   John   had   been   planning   an   escape   but William   found   out   about   it   and   told   their   father.   John   was,   in   turn,   murdered   and   the   castle   went   to   the   third son, George Sinclair, who founded the family of the Sinclairs of Mey and succeeded to the Earldom in 1789. He   changed   the   name   of   the   castle   to   Barrogill   Castle   and   it   became   the   seat   of   the   Earls   of   Caithness   for   the next 100 years. In   1819   the   12 th    Earl   commissioned   the   architect,   William   Burn,   to   make   various   ambitious   alterations   to   the castle,   including   the   grand   entrance   and   the   dining   room.   His   son,   Alexander,   was   responsible   for   erecting   the monument,   now   known   as   'Lady   Fanny's   Seat’,   as   a   tribute   to   his   friend,   Charles   John   Canning,   who   later   became the   first   Viceroy   of   India.   George,   the   15 th    Earl   died   at   the   age   of   30;   he   had   never   married   and   having   no children,   left   the   castle   to   his   friend   F   G   Heathcote,   on   condition   that   he   changed   his   name   to   Sinclair.   His   widow eventually sold it to Captain F B Imbert-Terry. Her   Majesty   Queen   Elizabeth   The   Queen   Mother   first   saw   Barrogill   Castle   in   1952,   while   mourning   the   death   of her   husband,   King   George   VI.   Falling   for   its   isolated   charm   and   hearing   it   was   to   be   abandoned,   she   decided   to save   it.   Having   acquired   the   most   northerly   inhabited   castle   on   the   British   mainland,   The   Queen   Mother renovated   and   restored   it   and   created   the   beautiful   gardens.   For   almost   half   a   century   she   spent   many   happy summers   here   and   shorter   visits   at   other   times   of   the   year,   and   in   1996   she   gifted   it   with   an   endowment   to   the Castle of Mey Trust and the Castle and its grounds are open to the public.